Some general thoughts about the series: While J.K. Rowling and Suzanne Collins are the princesses of unnecessary deaths, Veronica Roth is clearly the queen of unnecessary deaths. Put yourself in the story and surround yourself with the characters. Look to the left, look to the right. Those people will probably not be alive at the end of the series. Some of the character deaths did move the story along, but others seemed to just be thrown in there casually. So if you gain anything from this review and you are an author, I just think you should know that it is possible to create a great story with adventure WITHOUT KILLING EVERYONE.
Divergent:
Divergent is set in Chicago some time in the future. The city is split into five factions that are divided by different virtues: Abnegation (selflessness), Amity (kindness), Candor (truth), Erudite (knowledge), and Dauntless (bravery). Every year there is a Choosing Ceremony where every 16-year-old chooses a faction based on an aptitude test that they take before the ceremony. Beatrice 'Tris' Prior is born into Abnegation, but she feels that she doesn't really belong there. When she takes her aptitude test, it is revealed that she is Divergent, which means a number of things (not all of which I will mention here).
She ultimately chooses to leave her faction because she feels that she is too selfish to stay in Abnegation. If you haven't seen the trailer, I won't spoil which faction she chooses. We'll just say it's probably the last faction I would have picked ;)
As with most of the dystopian young adult books, there is action, romance, and friendship.
I thought Divergent was a strong start to the trilogy and it left me wanting to read Insurgent. Unfortunately I waited almost six months to continue the series, so I can't really remember what else I thought about the book. I think it is worth reading, but it isn't the best book I've ever read.
She ultimately chooses to leave her faction because she feels that she is too selfish to stay in Abnegation. If you haven't seen the trailer, I won't spoil which faction she chooses. We'll just say it's probably the last faction I would have picked ;)
As with most of the dystopian young adult books, there is action, romance, and friendship.
I thought Divergent was a strong start to the trilogy and it left me wanting to read Insurgent. Unfortunately I waited almost six months to continue the series, so I can't really remember what else I thought about the book. I think it is worth reading, but it isn't the best book I've ever read.
Rating: 8/10
Insurgent:
Insurgent picks up not long after where Divergent left off. Tris is filled with sadness and guilt over some of the events that happened in Divergent, but as I said, no spoilers here. Tris becomes somewhat reckless, which frustrates those who love her most.
There's even more action, romance, forgiveness, and even betrayal in this book. Readers get to experience what life might be like for people in the other factions, or (gasp) even for the factionless.
I liked Insurgent, but there were parts where it felt rushed and then at the end this big message from the outside is revealed and it forever changes the world Tris knew. It leaves so many possibilities, but what happens next is a bit unexpected.
Insurgent picks up not long after where Divergent left off. Tris is filled with sadness and guilt over some of the events that happened in Divergent, but as I said, no spoilers here. Tris becomes somewhat reckless, which frustrates those who love her most.
There's even more action, romance, forgiveness, and even betrayal in this book. Readers get to experience what life might be like for people in the other factions, or (gasp) even for the factionless.
I liked Insurgent, but there were parts where it felt rushed and then at the end this big message from the outside is revealed and it forever changes the world Tris knew. It leaves so many possibilities, but what happens next is a bit unexpected.
Rating: 7.5/10
Allegiant:
This book was my least favorite in the trilogy, hence the 6.5 star rating. I'll be honest, I didn't think the series was leading up to the events of Allegiant. I'll be honest - I purchased Allegiant in an eBook format because I didn't think I would like it, and I thought it was okay at best.
Allegiant is from Tris and Four's perspective. I don't know how much else I can say without spoiling the entire series, but Allegiant is an emotional rollercoaster. Readers get a view of what is outside the fence, which is interesting. However, if you don't think spending half of a book reading about genetic damage (and angst surrounding it) then you will not like Allegiant.
This book was my least favorite in the trilogy, hence the 6.5 star rating. I'll be honest, I didn't think the series was leading up to the events of Allegiant. I'll be honest - I purchased Allegiant in an eBook format because I didn't think I would like it, and I thought it was okay at best.
Allegiant is from Tris and Four's perspective. I don't know how much else I can say without spoiling the entire series, but Allegiant is an emotional rollercoaster. Readers get a view of what is outside the fence, which is interesting. However, if you don't think spending half of a book reading about genetic damage (and angst surrounding it) then you will not like Allegiant.
Rating: 6.5/10
I would advise reading this series with caution. If you want a series that will stick with you in a good way, go read (or reread) Harry Potter, because this series will not give you warm, fuzzy feelings at the end.
I would advise reading this series with caution. If you want a series that will stick with you in a good way, go read (or reread) Harry Potter, because this series will not give you warm, fuzzy feelings at the end.
No comments:
Post a Comment